Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Performing Arts

Hey y'all! Thanks for all of the great comments! This will be a post in place of one of the requirements on the rubric. I wanted to discuss the dramas that I have been attending. The first one I saw was called "The Slipknot"... it was really incredible and funny and I recommend it to everyone if you have the opportunity to see it! It is a one man play - that's right, I said ONE MAN and he tells three different stories at the same time. All he did was he set up three different coloured lights and moved into each light when he was talking about that story line! It was amazing! At first when I heard it was a one man play, I was like "huh? How is that going to work?" But using the lights and his amazing talent to switch characters so quickly and recall his lines exactly was fantastic to watch! I thought to myself, "what an amazing talent that we should try to encourage and grow in our elementary students!" Imagine the possibilities this man would have had (and maybe did), if he was allowed to give a drama performance in place of a written assignment! Imagine the fun the class would have had being involved and watching this! I'm sure this actor had many opportunities to work on his talent slowly developing it into the performance it is today.
It reminded me of when I was in Drama 12 and one of our assignments was to perform a monologue in front of the class. The monologues lasted about 15 minutes and I thought that was hard! This man was in a monologue for 2 hours and using three different story lines at the same time! INCREDIBLE! And he kept our attention the entire time! It was also extra funny for us because he had a story line involving Vancouver and Brad and I moved to Prince George from there a year and a half ago, so the memories are still fresh! Very funny and definitely well worth the time and effort to invest drama in our students!!!

1 comment:

Willow Brown said...

I hope this comment has helped you to build the habit of observing arts events to get ideas for the classroom!