Monday, November 19, 2007

Pointillism Picture as Promised!


The criteria for the picture was: it must show depth, shading, elements of McBride, warm and cool colours, and Pointillism technique! I was thrilled and excited about how the picture turned out! Doing this art project was a real eye-opener for me. I have always been someone who is constantly saying "I'm not very good at art." "I could never do art to save my life!" But I was totally impressed with how well this picture turned out (many hours later - it's about 15'' by 12''). What opened my eyes was when I would show my semi-completed picture to the students to help show them the technique and they would exclaim "how come grown ups can do it better than us kids?". I would then get the comments like "I'm not very good at art" or "I can't do this very well." - the EXACT same comments that I was using for myself. And now, I was having to try to increase their confidence by giving them specific feedback like, "Sure you can! Look at how you created depth with your river - that's exactly what you need to do!"
Even though my self perception was that I am terrible at art, I now know that taking the time to learn and use the skills and techniques will enable anyone to create work that may impress a few others (including myself!)!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great art work. Thanks for sharing. I took a good look at the pointillism pictures you brought to the show because I had never heard or saw of such a thing. They look great and your explanations on how to get going on something like this was appreciated.

Jenn said...

Nice job, Steph! That's super impressive!

Mr. Frost said...

You did do an excellent job of getting students to see all the different elements that make a picture have depth. It is quite the undertaking and pointillism is not the easiest style to teach those concept with. While talking with you about these pieces, it was great to hear how enthousiastic you were about the lesson. I will teach you one point perspective in worms eye view soon.

Dena said...

I know exactly what you mean Steph... I would never consider myself as artistic and it's strange to be in a position where we are constantly telling our kids that they are artistic no matter what. Perhaps, we lack in the experiences that we are now able to provide for them; provide them with confidence and an appreciation for all art including their own. (and we should take our own advice)

Willow Brown said...

Thanks for sharing the criteria and describing so thoroughly how you used descriptive feedback. I also appreciate your comments about how the things you were saying to yourself about your artistic or creative talent were the same messages your students were giving themselves. Your feedback may have begun to give them a different, more productive and growth-inspiring "script"!